National Travel & Tourism Week 2012
Join Visit Topeka in celebrating tourism during National Travel and Tourism Week, a tradition that started in 1984 which allows communities to champion the power of tourism during the first week of May each year.
Tourism Fast Facts
- The travel and tourism industry in Kansas has a 5.46 billion dollar impact on our state's economy
- More than 125,000 direct jobs are supported by core travel and tourism activity, meaning that one of every nine Kansas citizens owes his or her job to tourism
- Every 203 visitors to Kansas creates a new job
- Last year, Topeka attractions recorded more than 500,000 visitors
“We are rallying to celebrate every worker in our community who depends on travel for his or her livelihood," said Olivia Simmons, president and CEO of Visit Topeka Inc. "We’re letting our elected officials and local citizens know that Topeka tourism is important to Kansas, and it’s important to you.”
Visit Topeka Block Party @ Downtown After Hours
YOU'RE INVITED! Thursday, May 10 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Visit Topeka Inc. office & parking lot, 618 S. Kansas Ave.
- Incredible door prizes including 4 tickets to the NHRA Summer Nationals, an overnight stay at a top Bed & Breakfast, free food & more!
- Live music by country artist Travis Marvin
- Food sponsored by Brickyard Inn Catering
- Wine sponsored by Wyldewood Cellars
In addition to the block party, Visit Topeka will continue to celebrate Topeka tourism by handing out reusable shopping bags with an assortment of coupons ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â to enable people to shop local. Visit Topeka plans to continue to hand out the shopping bags throughout the summer at major sporting events, attractions and locations. You can find out where the Visit Topeka staff will be handing out bags through a video series featured in their newsletters and shared on YouTube and Facebook.
Thank you to our sponsors!
- Stormont-Vail HealthCare
- CoreFirst Bank and Trust
- Brickyard Inn Catering
- WyldewoodÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â Cellars
Peoples Insurance & Benefit Group